Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SnglGrma

Re: WRT160N V3 has serioius DNS issues

I got that very same feeling when I was talking to him Wbundrick... my only thought now is...

How long is how long do they test to make sure they are not frying the routers once they give us the fix ! I don't want my router fried ... but he could not give me a tentative time frame on the testing... just kept telling me that they are wanting to make sure they did not break someones' property !

AND

HOW COME the Forum guys have not honored my request by posting on the board they are working on the fix!

~ Joanie ~

Internet Connection: Wireless
Comcast Modem: RCA (By Thomson) Digital Broadband Model # DCM425
Linksys Wireless-N Router: Broadband Model # WRT160N V3 Firmware: 3.0.02 build 003

Method of Connection: Wireless / Intel WiFi Link 1000 BGN

Operating System / Service Pack: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Firewall: Kaspersky Internet Security 2011
Anti-Virus / Spyware Program: Kaspersky Internet Security 2011
TahoeDD123

I have also experienced these DNS problems with my WRT160N v3. Not only that but I have some serious NAT issues with the Xbox 360 and have tried port forwarding and a list of other things I have researched. Hopefully this firmware upgrade will address both issues. I just recently found this thread after months of being frustrated with my WRT160N, it made me wonder if I should have just selected a competitive brand name router. I'm glad to see Cisco working on the problem now but it seems that is has taken too long. This has been going on since I purchased the router closing in on a year now.
hanseric

SnglGrma wrote:

@Hanseric,

yes it is the exact issue... at first they could not duplicate it, but finally something pulled through and he was telling me that they had been able to duplicate it several different times. He said that not all people are experiencing this issue, and others it does not stop for... when i told him i got it EVERY day between 1 and 6 pm depending on what time i decided to use my computer that day.. he said that i had it the worst he has heard... .. Gee Thanks ! LOL

AS SOON as they know that the updated firmware will not cause any issues on our routers they will release it.. but ... that they have the fix... he said it has to do with the cache of the ip addresses or something to that nature ... (been a  few days)

so let's all hang tight... use our work around until they can get the update out to us!.... Tapping fingers ..... lol...  yipppieee !

Joanie

Joanie,

That's brilliant!  Thanks again  for taking the initiative and I'm staying tuned here for any updates.  It's been a long road and I'm very much looking forward to this being resolved without having to trash perfectly good (or at least new) hardware!

Have a happy July 4th!

Hans

SnglGrma

To those who have been dealing with the issue longer than myself (I bought my router around February),

The technician told me over the telephone... in the beginning they could not recreate the issue... NONE of their routers they hooked up in their lab had this issue... that is why it took so long to get the fix.. not sure as to how or when they found it... but they finally did... and now testing the fix...

Looking back through the postings... I understand how much more frustrated you all are compared to what i was feeling... Shoot.. I kept thinking one of my IT friends were playing games with me and that I had a virus on my system that NONE of my antivirus programs were catching... so you can imagine HOW MANY TIMES.... I wrote zeros' to this hard drive... to the point where I went out and bought an external hard drive and password protected it! Only hooking it up when I needed a file to work on or save... and then when I did that.. i would disconnect from the internet!

@Hanseric.... You are quite welcome.. I was not going to sleep (sort of to speak) until I found the resolution.... ! I am glad that Cisco called me when they did... (within the 24 - 48 hours) because.... They would hate the rath of a WOMAN  LOL....

@Tahoe .... I hope the fix works with your gaming box too...

Have a Happy Fourth Everyone!

Joanie

~ Joanie ~

Linksys Wireless-N Router: Broadband Model # WRT160N V3 Firmware: 3.0.02 build 003

iso70x

Well, even though I moved onto 3rd party firmware (DD-WRT) a few months ago (because of this issue), I'm glad there's finally been some progress.  It's really shoddy that linksys have taken so long to even acknowledge this considering the widespread reports of the issue from users.  I'm sticking with DD-WRT from now on because of the extra features (vpn, SSH, etc), but it's good to know that an official firmware is finally taking shape.  The wrt160n is a superb router, the hardware is great.  It's just a shame that it's rep has been tarnished by the firmware being faulty.

zaxxon1982

Tahoe be sure you turn upnp off to open the NAT.  I had to jump through some hoops with the WRT160N but I have no more problems with Halo or CoD.

ktaulbee

We are also experiencing this problem. We have two desktops and  a notebook. Two are Win 7, one is XP Home Ed. This is driving us crazy ... facebook.com login gets redirected to myspace or we get a big red screen saying we probably don't want to go to this site.

Sometimes doing the "ipconfig /flushdns" will work once only, other times not at all.

I'm not experienced in digging around in the dns settings, etc. I'm worried about trashing my network or something. Are you people sure it's safe to make the changes here?

And Yes we have the WRT160N V3.

THanks!

kim

SnglGrma

@Kim,
Yes it is safe to follow these steps outlined below....

Thanks goes out to ..... Wbundrick!!

1) Open a commant prompt and run IPCONFIG /ALL . Notice that your active network adapter shows your WRT160N's address (mine is 192.168.1.1) is listed as the first DNS server. This is the problem and we are about to do something about it.

2) You should also see at least two more DNS server addresses following the router's address. If not, then log into your router and go to the Status page and look at the DNS servers listed there.

3) In Windows, go to your network adapter settings and edit its TCP/IP properties as follows:

4) Change the DNS from automatic to manual, and enter the two DNS servers from step 2. Do not include your router's address here! (Optional: if you have more than two DNS servers then you can click the Advanced button to add them to the DNS list.)

Joanie

~ Joanie ~

zaxxon1982

ktaulbee we have more confidence in the safety of these workarounds than you should have in the word of a bunch of internet people.

lymanalpha

It's amazing that this is still not fixed.  I understand the workarounds but they're not really useful for all of my mobile devices.  I'm not going to set all my iPad, iPhone and Macbook Pro to manual settings and then change them every time I leave the house.  Right now I just cross my fingers that it doesn't go screwy.

The worst part of this is when there actually is something weird going on with a website (e.g. twitter during the world cup), you always end up assuming its the stupid router going crazy and wasting a bunch of time trying to fix it when fixing it is impossible.

One thing I'm not sure about with the DNS cache flushing.  Is that a local fix or does that actually send a command to the router.  If I enter in at the terminal: dscacheutil -flushcache does that have an effect on the router itself or is it only doing something to my Mac.